- You can delete your Instagram account on the account deletion page on desktop or mobile browser.
- You can also delete your Instagram account on iOS using the mobile app.
- To take a short break from Instagram, you can temporarily deactivate your account.
Instagram is one of the most popular social media sites around — and one of the most addicting. If you want to tone down your Instagram habits, you can always delete or deactivate your Instagram account.
The difference between the two is that deleting your Instagram account is permanent, while deactivating is temporary and you can log back in later.
To delete or deactivate your Instagram account, you can use a web browser on desktop and mobile. iPhone users can even delete their account using the Instagram app.
Quick tip: Once you’ve deleted or deactivated your Instagram account, you’ll probably want to delete the app from your phone as well. Check out our guides on how to delete apps on an iPhone or how to delete apps on your Android device to do it.
How to delete your Instagram on desktop
1. On a desktop web browser, go to instagram.com and log into your account.
2. Once logged in, go to the Instagram account deletion page.
3. Click the drop-down menu in the right panel of the screen and choose the reason for deleting your account.
Tell Instagram why you’re deleting your account.
4. Re-enter your password in the text box that appears below, and click the Delete [Account Name] button afterward.
Re-enter your password, and then click the “Delete” button.
Instagram will let you know that it’ll take a month for your data to be fully erased. Until then, your account will just be hidden from public view.
Note: While your account is hidden, you can log back into it anytime before it is fully erased to cancel the deletion process, if you change your mind.
How to delete Instagram on iOS
1. Open the Instagram app on your iOS device.
2. Tap the profile picture icon in the bottom-right corner of the screen and select Settings in the menu.
3. Tap More – the three horizontal lines – in the top-right corner of the screen and select Settings in the menu.
Select “Settings” in the “Mode” menu of the Instagram iOS app.
4. Tap Account.
5. Scroll down and tap Delete account.
Tap “Delete account.”
6. Tap Delete account again.
7. Confirm your decision by tapping Continue Deleting Account.
8. The Instagram app will then load the mobile version of the account deletion page. Tap the drop-down menu and select the reason for deleting your Instagram account.
9. Re-enter your Instagram password in the text box that appears below, and then tap the Delete [Account name] button afterward.
How to delete Instagram on Android
1. In your Android device’s mobile browser, head to instagram.com and log into your account.
2. Head to the Instagram account deletion page once you have logged in.
3. Tap the drop-down menu and select the reason for deleting your Instagram account.
Select the reason for deleting your Instagram account in the dropdown-menu.
4. Re-enter your Instagram password in the text box that appears below, and then tap the Delete [Account Name] button afterward.
Re-enter your Instagram password, and the tap the “Delete” button.
How to deactivate your Instagram account temporarily
If you just need a short break from Instagram, you can temporarily disable your account instead. This hides it from public view, but lets you restore it whenever you like.
1. Log into your Instagram account on a web browser, go to your profile page, and then click the Edit profile button at the top.
Click “Edit profile.”
2. At the bottom of the page that opens, click the Temporarily disable my account link.
Click “Temporarily disable my account” at the bottom of this page.
3. Select the reason that you’re disabling your account and re-enter your password.
4. Click the Temporarily Disable Account button.
Click the “Temporarily Disable Account” button.
To reactivate your account in the future, simply log back into the Instagram app with your username and password.